Sunday, October 7, 2012

Whose Blood Saves?

There is a story of a man named Bill.  Bill was well-known for being an avid and consistent blood donor.  He was very proud of this fact.  He gave, for nearly every year of his adult life, over a hundred pints of blood.  Untold people have been helped by Bill's kindness.

One day, a reporter who was doing a story on Bill, asked him why he donated blood.  To which Bill replied, "Well, when I get to the pearly gates and ole' St. Peter checks my account, I figure I'll be able to point out how I've given my blood and that'll be enough.  I mean, if you add it all up I've given a couple thousand pints of blood.  That ought to get me in."

And while it is unclear whether he is joking or not, it is not that far from how many people still think about matters of heaven and of salvation.  But, in truth, no matter how great or numerous are the works of goodness that a person does, salvation comes by the name of Christ Jesus and by no other means.  Grace alone received through faith.

As for Bill, if he thinks that giving over a hundred pints of blood a year is going to save him, then he is trusting in the wrong blood.  Only the blood of Christ Jesus saves. This is essential, foundational, fundamental, and immutable.  Let us then spread the word that Jesus and only He saves.  But praise be to God for revealing Himself to us in this way, that while we were still sinners He sent His Son to die and to pay propitiation for the iniquities of mankind.  Praise God!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17