Monday, March 18, 2013

Are You Hungry?

Being a human, in the most basic sense, demands adhering to three basic bodily responsibilities: intaking nourishment, expelling waste, and refreshment in sleep.  It behooves the human to schedule fulfilling these duties through the day.  Today, however, I neglected to eat.  Actually, by the time I got home from work, I was nearly swooning with hunger pains.  To be sure, it had only been half a day or so, but I was hungry.

Fortunately, my wife was given the day off and, as I made my hunger known to her, she was able to have dinner prepared for me when I arrived home.  But as I was changing out of my clothes before sitting down to eat, I contemplated my hunger and a verse was brought to my mind.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." (Matt 5:6).

Considering my bodily hunger led me to consider my spiritual hunger.  How hungry am I for righteousness?  Am I in pain in my thirst for Christ?  It seems an odd thing, but a good thing to take an inventory, to adjust our barometer to think of how much we desire God.  Let us then make a practice of considering the level of our hunger and our thirst for God and His goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17