Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Psalm 27:4–One Thing I Ask

Psalm 27:4: "One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in His temple."

Desire satisfied, that is what this passage is all about; the highest of desires, to be sure.  To dwell in God's house, to gaze upon His beauty, and to inquire in His holy temple, perhaps there is no set of higher virtues.  But when you read this verse do you ask the same self-probing question that I do: "Is God worth this much to me?"

While I can honestly assert, to my discredit, that I do not always desire the things of God first and foremost, I can claim with certainty that I want to.  My prayer is to yearn for God more than I currently do, to not be satisfied with my current inclinations to His glory but to truly wish for a greater longing, a more sincere pining, and a deeper thirst for all that He is.  But there is hope!

This passage is not merely a statement, it is also a prayer, an exclamation of longing to know God and His glory more intimately, more fully.  And by the grace of God we can proclaim that He and His presence is the one thing we ask for, the one thing we seek after!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17