Friday, October 25, 2013

Words About Conviction

Conviction.  It is a simple word with rather particular meanings.  In the legal sense, conviction is the charge and declaration of guilt.  However, in another sense, conviction refers to the strength, the certainty, and the power of belief.  Needless to say, in regards to Christianity this belief is in the Gospel and its truth.

We could speak of conviction in reference to an actor playing a role or an athlete making a play.  On the other hand, we can also speak of conviction when it comes to moral fortitude.  Either way, the unequivocal response is that conviction is a necessary component to greatness, whatever the task may be.

It is with this understanding that I convey a simple and very personal prayer:

Lord, help me to commit with utter conviction to lay myself with abandon upon Your grace, Your mercy, and Your Holy Word.

This is my prayer for myself, my family, and my church.  I long to see a church and a people of God that is strong and right in its convictions to Christ from moment to moment in every facet of life.  This is our call and this is our task.  Let us strive for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17