Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Proverbs 15:1–Need For A Soft Answer

Proverbs 15:1–"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

A 'soft' answer.  To my discredit, this has not always been my most natural response.  In truth, actually, I am prone to offer answers that are too direct, too aggressive, and, quite frankly, too harsh.  This verse, then, has a special relevance to someone like me who has a tendency towards foot-in-mouth syndrome. More than once, many times to be honest, I have seen the reality of this verse in my own life.  I can say without hesitation that a soft answer does turn away wrath just as a harsh word does stir up angry responses.

It is thus so vital that we would guard our tongues, monitor our speech so that in any and every circumstance we would only offer answers soft in delivery.  This does not relegate everything we say to be weak.  On the contrary, this means that when what we say is difficult and strong, our delivery will be soft for the purpose of making it most effective.  The sharpest blade can be deflected by defenses, but the dullest knife can wound if defenses are lowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17