Thursday, August 30, 2012

Turning to God in times of Weariness

How far would you have to be pushed for you to be pushed too far?  Or, how many times would you have to be patient before you ran out?  Or, at what point would you finally throw your hands up and look a person into the eyes and say: "Enough! You've gone too far and I cannot help you any more!"

Sometimes it can be a healthy thought experiment to consider these things in lieu of God and all His gracious majesty.  I recently thought of such things during a particularly challenging day.  Work had been crazy and unstable.  The drive home was backed-up with rush hour traffic.  My night's plans were thrown off by life's improvisations.  And by the end of the night, I was both exhausted and irritable.

As I was lying in lying in my bed, trying to decompress from the erratic jar of my day, when the Holy Spirit spoke into my heart and my head.  To be honest, the voice was comforting but unwelcome at first, because when He spoke, I was slammed deeper into my mattress with conviction and awe.

We, every human being that has ever lived, behaves like a tired, upset, moody, crazy toddler to our Heavenly Father.  Yet He, in His infinite grace, never runs out of patience, never gives up, and cannot be pushed beyond His limits because He has none.  When the Holy Spirit spoke this to me, I was astonished at how easily I found myself bogged down by my limited patience and the meager issues that seem so big.  Truly, sometimes a healthy dose of godly perspective is all a person needs to turn back to God and receive some much needed peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17