Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The "Joy" of Aging

Day by day, I get older.  In many ways this is a bittersweet ordeal.  For I am pleased to grow in faith at the work of God; however, the aging process is one of added aches and persistent pains that were not present years ago.  And, although I am not very old by the world's standards (a mere 29), I feel that the process of aging is one that is carried forward in a relatively the same fashion by all humans once they reach adulthood.

Truly, aging is a cold pill swallowed with a soothing cup of hot cocoa; the pill is the loss of youth but the relief comes with the addition of growth, both of knowledge and of wisdom.  My weight and figure is far-less stable than it once was, meaning that for the first time in my life I have to be cautious of what I eat.  And while this was devastating, the moment that the realities of aging hit me happened a couple years ago after casually brushing my hair and staring at the remnants left behind.  That's when it hit me.

I never knew that gray could be so discouraging.  Yet there it was: gray hair from my head?  I was stunned.  I spent the next several minutes staring at the mirror in disbelief, and the next several days under a hat to conceal my new found, unwelcome aging.  And though this could seem like a crisis of sorts for my early twenties self, God revealed Himself to me in His Word and comforted me in my struggle with my continually-growing age.

These two passages say all I need to hear whenever I feel depressed about aging:

"Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life (Pro. 16:31)."

"The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair (Pro. 20:29)."

Scripture can speak for itself.  Luckily, it speaks for us too!  So, if you find that you feel down over the effects of aging, you can find comfort and peace in the fact that your aging is a beautiful thing that is happening for a reason.  Just remember to always press on in faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17