Thursday, September 27, 2012

Baptism of the Holy Spirit

In reading through the Book of Acts today, there was a sequence of events in chapter 8 that caught my attention, sending my mind and heart reeling.  The story speaks of Philip evangelizing throughout Samaria.  The Gospel, empowered by the Holy Spirit, was making great strides throughout Samaria and many people were believing and being baptized into the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 8:12).

The news of the Gospel's spread and affect in Samaria began to reach Jerusalem, prompting Peter and John to go and check out the buzz.  But, although the new converts had been baptized into the name of Christ Jesus, they had not received the the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:14-16).  What struck me today was that even though the had came to Christ in faith and been baptized into the name of Christ Jesus, for them to receive the Holy Spirit was an altogether other event.

The implications of such a discovery were and are staggering.  The people of Samaria were saved.  They had confessed their sin and professed their faith and commitment in covenant with God through the blood of Christ Jesus.  However, they had not received the Holy Spirit.  In other words, economically they were saved, but transformationally they still lacked the Holy Spirit's power.

I began to look around at my local congregation and the people who have professed their faith but still lack the fruit that is to accompany such profession and I wonder: have they received the Holy Spirit?  Have I?  This is not a flippant or intentionally provocative thought.  Instead, this is a serious inquiry into the state of my relationship with the Lord Almighty.  For if I am saved but have yet to receive the Holy Spirit, then I too will lack the power of God.

Essentially, I could have the Word but still not possess the Spirit who applies it to my life personally and directly in the matter of sanctification.  Therefore, I think it is still a necessity for Christians who cannot definitively say that they have received the Holy Spirit to pray that He would indwell their hearts and empower them miraculously!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17