Friday, December 28, 2012

Take up Jesus' Yoke for Rest

Jesus said this in Matthew 11: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  (Matt 10:28-30).

Many people quote the first part of this passage, more commonly spoken as this: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest...For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Unfortunately, this neglects the weightier part of this passage, chiefly, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me..."

Jesus is talking about peace and He is talking about peace, but He is not saying that we should lay down from work or rest from our labors.  On the contrary!  Jesus is exhorting people to come to Him so as to rest in their work, true work that is found in Him.  This is what He means.  Jesus uses unambiguous language here.  He is, actually, telling us that we will work but that our peace and rest will come through the work we do for Him.  Let us always remember this if ever we feel tired and broken down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17