Sunday, January 20, 2013

Our Future Kids

A couple nights per week the same thing happens: my wife wants to cuddle and I have to tell her that I can't until my blog is written.  I've made a commitment to writing a daily blog and I try to remain disciplined to that responsibility.  However, it has not always been easy.  Not only is it difficult to turn down the affections of my wife but figuring out what to write about everyday is an exercise in itself.  If what I'm currently reading does not spark an idea, I sometimes resort to asking my wife for suggestions.  Today is one of those times.  She was pretty adamant about writing about our future children.

At the onset, it must be stated clearly: she is not pregnant.  There are no babies on the way, though we do talk about it quite a bit.  It is an important thing for us in the future and we're both excited for the day that she comes in to tell me that she's pregnant.  As of the writing of this blog, she hasn't told me any surprises like that yet.  Continuing...

Both of us, my wife and I, have made it our life's pursuit to be obedient to God and to His holy Word.  This means that we strive to have His Word permeate every facet of our lives that we may continue to grow in sanctification and to become the people that God desires for us to be.  Additionally, this means that we endeavor to hold every decision up to the light of Scripture in devotion and prayer.

As it comes to our future kids, this posture of obedience and praise will be put to the test.  We both have friends and family that have young children, and while the kids always seem so fun to spend time with in small doses, it seems to be clear that children are exhausting, taxing, and parenting will test everything we have.  I only need to think about how I was as a child and I rejoice that my parents didn't quietly kill me in my sleep.

But with all this, my wife and I have seen that the parents who keep a level head and who strive to teach their kids the Word of God seem to be the most effective parents.  This excites and convicts us.  Our goal is to raise the best children we possibly can, adhering to the Bible as closely as possible.  In thirty years, I hope to show this blog to our future kids to see how we did.

To our future kids: we prayed, we read, and we tried our best.  If you're still alive and you know that Jesus is Lord, then we did alright.  Please forgive us for when we lacked patience and when we considered cutting off your air supply in your sleep.  We love you and we are blessed to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17