Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Phil. 4:11-13: Contentment found in Christ

One of my favorite verses penned by the apostle Paul reads: "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Phil 4:11-13).

Life full of undulations, waves both of plenty and of little, of happiness and of sadness, and of health and of sickness.  Solomon writes that there is a time for everything in the introduction to Ecclesiastes. This reality can lead to a sense of vertigo, to be sure, but God has provided us the ultimate source of stability regardless of circumstance: Himself.

Believers have been given the ultimate gift of grace that is access to the presence of God through faith in Christ.  His presence is an ever-present comfort, a constant stabilizing companionship, and the only source of true contentment under any condition.  This is more than a nice sentiment; it is a reality that should compel how we live and handle the tempests and deserts of the human life.  Let us always take joy and comfort from this reality and let it seep into the depth of our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17