Friday, January 4, 2013

Philippians and Pressing On to the Prize

Philippians 3:13-14: "Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it known.  But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

By the time Paul had wrote this, he had been stoned, beaten, imprisoned, slandered, shipwrecked, and been hurt by countless other ailments and infirmities.  But even through all of this, Paul was committed to staying the path that he had been called to and commissioned for.  That is to say that no matter the circumstance, Paul would not let himself be derailed from his purpose.

Today, as in the day before, I woke up to a full-bodied ache paired with a lovely fever.  Having had to call into work for the second day in a row, I crawled back to my bed and tried my best to fall asleep  past the cold sweats and hacking coughs.  The day was spent basically in and out of sleep and coughing fits.  And though my thoughts were, admittedly, quite hazy, I did manage to utter some simple praises and prayers for the gifts that He has and continually bestows.

To be certain, I do not mean to compare my flu-like health situation with Paul's struggles.  But I am trying to show how the principle applies to me personally in practical ways.  My earnest prayer is to always take time to praise the Lord no matter the circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17