Friday, February 28, 2014

Isaiah 61:3–Garment of Praise Instead of a Spirit of Despair

Isaiah 61:3–"to bestow on the a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."

This passage is a prophecy is all that Jesus will be granted to do for those who come to Him by faith. If I may be vulnerable for a moment, lately I have felt despair and mourning, I have felt far more like ashes than beauty.  It was in this state that this phrase, a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair, was brought to my mind.

While it may seem little, this passage, this phrase hit me square as if an arrow of truth had pierced the very center of my heart.  It occurred to me that not only is this passage about all that Christ will give to those who are His; it is also a strategy for dealing with despair.  In other words, if I am downtrodden with overwhelming despair praise is the remedy.

I want to be honest here, my experience confirms two things in regard to this idea.  The first is that when I am overcome with despair it is difficult to utter praise.  Conversely, however, I have found that it is true that praise will most assuredly pull me from a place of despair and put me in a new place of worship and humility before the Lord.

In all of this, I can only say, "praise be to God!"  For it is only right that we should find our surest relief in uttering praise to His glory.  My exhortation, then, for any who may find themselves covered by a dark despair is that they would strive to praise the Lord.  For in worship we will seek His face, trust in Christ, and sing to the glory of His name.  And each of these things will have the positive effect of taking us out of our despair by inclining our hearts to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17