Tuesday, February 25, 2014

John 14:10-11–Father & Son are One

John 14:10-11–"Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? the words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does His works.  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves."

This is one passage among many in John's gospel that highlight the unique and distinct relationship between Jesus the Son and the Father.  The connection between the Son and the Father is a specific one of role and rank, not of a difference in deity or value.  The Son is submissive to the will of the Father.

Jesus says as much in John 5: "the Son can do nothing of His own accord, but only what He sees the Father doing.  For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise...I can do nothing on my own...I seek not my own will but the will of Him who sent me. (vv. 19, 30)"

The very core of this theology is that Jesus is one with the Father but submissive to the Father's will. But this theology does not end there as Christ is compelling us to this same sort of relationship, that we would be submissive to the Father's will and that, ultimately, our authority and presence will be based solely upon the powerful works of the Heavenly Father.

To be sure, there is so much more to say on this topic alone.  Reams of paper could be expired upon this subject.  But we will live it here, understanding that Jesus would wish that we too would submit to the Father's will and claim no authority as our own save the Father's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17