Thursday, January 9, 2014

Matt. 6:19-21–Lay Up Right Treasures

Matthew 6:19-21–"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

This is one of those passages that I need to go over often.  It is so direct and full but also convicting and difficult.  I would like to say that I don't ever have to deal with this, as in I never lay up earthly treasure for myself, but as it is I have to admit that I do sometimes struggle.  Perhaps the reason Jesus has to make such a clear statement about treasure is that we are so prone to striving after counterfeit treasure, that is, we are more eager for the temporal treasures that won't last than the treasures that don't. Moreover, Jesus is clear to assert that there is a direct connection between the treasure we seek and the nature of our hearts.  We would be wise to consider the content of this passage often, and as often as we do, to remember that anything other than Christ is but ash and cannot satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17