Thursday, June 12, 2014

Resounding Praise

I have found that when life feels sun-soaked that praise tends to flow from my mouth as a gushing river, without hindrance or difficulty.  On the other hand, when life feels more like a never-ending raincloud that the once easily-flowing praises dries to a trickling faucet. Conversely, when life appears

Why is this?  Why is it difficult to praise God sometimes but at other times it seems to be the only thing worth doing at all?  What is it in me that makes praise a chore or a joy dependent on my mood?

Fortunately, I am not left wandering in this abyss of wallowing emotions.

Praise, unlike my feelings, is an act that engages my heart in a vertical activity.  Whether I am happy or sad, I am prone to inwardness.  But praise is an outward expression, a vertical focus.  Perhaps, then, that my real 'issue' is not in diagnosing the various differences that my varied emotional states make on the prospect of praise.  Rather, my real 'issue' is that no matter my state I am more apt to think about myself, wherever my emotions may be lifting or drooping, than to the Lord in praise.

It is at this point that the reality of my dilemma rises to reveal itself.

My greatest problem is me.

Thank goodness there is a proper cure for this disease of self: PRAISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17