Saturday, June 15, 2013

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is upon us.  The day of the year when children honor their fathers.  We spend this day giving thanks to our fathers for fathering.  While this is, without question, a good and important part of being a child, I submit that this Father's Day be spent, at least in part, in self-examination and personal assessment, asking ourselves: am I a good child?

Throughout the Holy Scripture, the value of a wise child is heralded as the joy of the father.  Therefore, the greatest gift a son or daughter could give would be the gift of devotion.  Devotion not only to our temporal fathers but also, and more so, to our heavenly Father. 

I can speak from personal experience here: the greatest gift that I have ever given my dad was when I gave myself to Christ.  Not only that, but in giving myself fully to Christ, my father and I have become closer than we ever have been.  And I praise God for that distinct joy.  It is as if in giving myself to Christ, God was giving my father to me and me to him.

While there is so much more to say, I would leave it at this: love your father today by loving God.  It is, after all, the only eternal gift we can give.  Everything else perishes as ash, but joining with your father in worshiping the Father is, well, it is everything.  Thank you, dad, for teaching me this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guitar Practice Session #3 12/18/17